Michigan city demolishes woman's home after she fails to pay $50,000
The exclusive interview with the woman and what she's doing now
SAGINAW, Mich - A Saginaw, Michigan, woman and her children are homeless after a fallen tree led the city to demolish her damaged home when she couldn't afford to pay the required fees to secure the property.
Jessica Tillman's home was severely damaged last Saturday morning when storms caused a large tree to crash onto her house. Tillman said she received an early morning call informing her of the damage and rushed home from a hotel where she had been celebrating a birthday with her son.
I can't keep delivering independent journalism without your help. If you're not already a supporter, please consider becoming a monthly subscriber. For just $6 a month, you'll get exclusive access to my live shows and bonus content—and you can cancel anytime. Your support is essential.
Upon arriving, Tillman found extensive damage and contacted emergency services. The Saginaw Fire Department responded, and city officials soon arrived to inspect the property. Tillman, who did not have homeowner’s insurance due to financial constraints after recently losing her mother and leaving an abusive relationship, said city officials informed her she needed to pay between $50,000 and $80,000 immediately to secure and stabilize the home. Without payment, they would demolish it that day.
"I was in shock," Tillman said. "Where am I going to get this money? I can barely even get $5."
City officials cited public safety concerns as their reason for immediate demolition. In a statement provided to local Facebook group Breaking News 989, the city of Saginaw said the home posed an imminent risk due to significant structural damage.
"The city was requiring the house to be immediately demolished due to the danger of the structure, and it was going to collapse," the city statement read.
Tillman attempted to retrieve personal belongings, including family photos and her parents’ ashes, but was initially prevented from entering the property due to safety risks. After negotiation, the fire department helped recover some items, including the ashes and a few photos.
The demolition has drawn criticism as nearby damaged properties remain standing, raising questions about why Tillman’s home was singled out for immediate removal.
Tillman and her children have received community support, including a verified GoFundMe account set up by her sister. Tillman said she plans to consult with an attorney regarding the city's actions.
The city maintains that the demolition was necessary for safety reasons.


How does red tape bureaucracy order a demolition in less that 5 hrs. Where is the original owner, she was purchasing from on a land contract. Did he have insurance? Who are they Dave?
The least they could have done is put up mobile fence panels to keep people out, leaving the home in place for a few days. It sounds like they made little effort to retrieve her possessions. This is scary!