‘I’m a Dad, and I’m Protecting My Daughter’: Parent Explains Why He Filed Federal Title IX Complaint
The Monroe County father explains why he brought his concerns to federal officials.
MONROE COUNTY, Mich. — A Michigan father has filed a detailed federal complaint alleging that Ann Arbor Public Schools and Monroe Public Schools violated Title IX and failed to protect female athletes’ privacy and safety after a biological male athlete competed in two girls volleyball matches this fall.
If you’re not subscribed yet, I hope you’ll join me. And if you can become a paid subscriber, it truly means the world. Your support is what keeps my independent journalism going.
The complaint, submitted December 5 to the US Department of Education by Sean Lechner, accuses Skyline High School of allowing the athlete to compete without the required Michigan High School Athletic Association waiver and without informing opposing parents or coaches in advance. It also accuses Monroe High School’s athletic director of permitting both teams to share a locker room during the September match, where female athletes were undressing when the male athlete was present.
Lechner said he first became aware of the situation just minutes before the September 9 match at Monroe High School.
“Minutes before the match, I was approached by several people asking if I was aware that we were playing a team that had a biological male on the team, which I had no idea,” Lechner told me. “After 30 minutes, give or take, you could clearly see which player that athlete was.”
He said he later learned his daughter and her teammates had shared a locker room with the Skyline team, including the male athlete.
“You’re having a male entering a female locker room where there’s minors getting dressed, undressed, using the bathroom,” Lechner said. “I’ve never heard of it. I’ve never seen it in my life. It was disgusting and upsetting. I didn’t sleep half the night.”
Monroe Public Schools Issues Statement
Monroe Public Schools released the following written statement:
“Monroe Public Schools received a complaint on Friday, December 5, 2025 alleging violations of Title IX among other allegations. The District has requested a third party to complete the Title IX investigation and provide a recommended determination. The district has chosen to use a third party so that the investigation can be completed in a manner that allows for complete transparency from beginning to end. Monroe Public Schools has no further comment while the third party is conducting the investigation.
Monroe Public Schools Administration.”
Dispute Over Prior Knowledge
The complaint alleges that Monroe High School Athletic Director Chet Hesson had been informed a day before the match that a male athlete would be on Skyline’s roster. A Monroe staff member later confirmed this to School Board President Tom Heck, according to the filing, contradicting Hesson’s written claim that he had no prior knowledge.
Lechner said Hesson refused to answer when he asked directly whether he knew ahead of time.
“I asked if he had prior knowledge. He said he wasn’t allowed to speak to me due to some privacy act,” Lechner said. “I’m just asking if you knew there was a male entering our locker room prior to match play. He wouldn’t answer.”
Fair Competition Concerns
The complaint argues the athlete’s participation also violated competitive fairness under both Title IX and MHSAA rules.
“It’s female versus female. It’s not co-ed,” Lechner said. “Ban every biological male from competing against females for safety reasons and the competitive edge.”
He noted that the net height difference between boys and girls volleyball creates an immediate advantage.
“That sets up a huge safety concern for every female,” he said.
The same athlete competed again during an October 25 match at Skyline High School, though locker rooms were not shared during that event.
Parents Say Concerns Were Dismissed
The complaint describes an October 23 meeting during which parents confronted Monroe’s athletic director. It alleges Hesson denied knowing about the athlete beforehand and laughed when a parent raised concerns about injury risks.
Lechner said transparency could have prevented escalation.
“If we missed that loophole or communication, admit it,” he said. “It gives our kids and parents reassurance that we’re going to do the right thing instead of bury it, hide it, and not talk about it.”
What the Complaint Seeks
The filing requests several corrective actions from federal investigators, including:
• A ban on biological males competing in female sports
• A ban on biological males entering female locker rooms
• A full investigation into both districts’ decision-making and communications
• A review of MHSAA compliance procedures
• Clear statewide protocols for locker room access and parental notification
Lechner said the issue should not be viewed through a political lens.
“It should not be political 100%. It should be about right and wrong, protecting our children and helping pave the path to success for them,” he said.
He said his daughter is nervous but supported filing the complaint.
“She said, ‘Dad, I just want to do what’s right,’” he said. “Her faith is stronger than you can imagine.”
The US Department of Education confirmed receipt of the complaint, according to Lechner, and Monroe Public Schools has already hired a third-party investigator.
“I never wanted to be in this position,” Lechner said. “But at the end of the day, I’m a dad. My ultimate goal is to protect the privacy of our daughters.”


Good for him. This trans stuff is nonsense and it’s always our daughters who suffer from it. It needs to STOP.
Congratulations to him and his daughter. Biological Boys/Men should NOT be playing in Girl’s Sports. Totally agree. God created Adam with an extra rib from Eve. There are physical and strength capabilities that girl/women do not have. Hence differences between man vs woman