Gunman Opens Fire Inside Michigan Church, Killing at Least One and Injuring Several Others
Police say a 40-year-old suspect drove into the building, set it on fire, and began shooting before being killed in an exchange with officers.
GRAND BLANC TWP, Mich — A Sunday morning worship service at a Mormon church in Grand Blanc Township turned tragic when a gunman rammed his vehicle into the building, opened fire, and sparked a blaze. Authorities say multiple people were shot and the suspect was “down” after law enforcement engaged him.
The incident unfolded just before 10:30 a.m. at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, when a 40-year-old man from Burton is alleged to have driven into the front doors of the church. He then exited the vehicle and began firing rounds into the congregation.
Grand Blanc Township Police Chief William Renye said two responding officers confronted the shooter, leading to an exchange of gunfire. The suspect was killed. He was reportedly armed with what appeared to be an assault rifle.
If you are not yet a paid subscriber consider becoming one to support my independent journalism for less than $1 per week.
At least ten victims were transported to local hospitals — among them at least one person who died. Chief Renye warned more victims may be discovered once responders can search areas affected by the fire, saying “there may be people up there … that were unable to get out of the church.”
The suspects truck had American flag on the back of the truck.
Law enforcement confirmed that there is no ongoing threat to the public. The fire that broke out in the building was still burning as responders rushed to contain it.
Federal agencies including the FBI and ATF were dispatched to the scene to assist state and local authorities. Officials have not yet released a motive or full identity of the shooter.
The State Police bomb squad is at the home of the suspect. I have been told the name of the person who is believed to be the shooter but I am not releasing it until I can confirm it with law enforcement.
In the wake of the attack, national figures responded with condemnation and prayers. President Donald Trump called it a “targeted attack on Christians” and said he had been briefed on the situation. Vice President J.D. Vance and U.S. Attorney General Pam Bondi also expressed support and sorrow, with Bondi calling the violence at a place of worship “heartbreaking and chilling.”
The local congregation released a statement calling the event a “tragic act of violence,” expressing gratitude to the first responders and pledging cooperation with investigators.



This shit has to stop. Like schools, a house of worship, I don't care what religion, is no place for a gun of any kind. Maybe we need armed veterans outside of churches, synagogues, temples, mosques all need to be protected. No one in this country should fear going to church. It's part of the reason I no longer do. I can watch my church service online. However, I miss the people as much as the service.
😢🙏