Beloved Bay City Halloween display threatened by city code crackdown
Mayor says officials are working toward a solution as dispute centers on lights over sidewalks
BAY CITY, Mich. — A popular Halloween display that stretches across nearly an entire Bay City block may be forced to scale back after city officials flagged it for code violations.
Matt Aikens, who started the neighborhood display several years ago, said the tradition has grown from his single home to 10 of the 11 houses on South Chilson Street. The annual setup features elaborate lighting, decorations, food trucks and even a coffee barista truck, drawing hundreds of children and families. Last year, organizers estimated nearly 900 trick-or-treaters visited, and Aikens expects more than double that number this year.
But city code enforcement officials notified Aikens this month that portions of the display violate local ordinances because some of the overhead lights extend across sidewalks. He was told the decorations must be removed by Oct. 3 or face fines.
“It’s not as simple as just moving things back,” Aikens told independent journalist Dave Bondy. “It would take us a month to tear down and rebuild. We’ve been doing this for five years, and we take every precaution to make sure it’s safe.”
I left my high paying job in the mainstream media to go independent and I can’t keep doing this work without paid subscribers. If you aren’t one, you can become one for less than $1 per week by clicking the red button below.
Bay City Mayor Christopher Girard also spoke with Bondy and said officials are working with organizers to find a solution. Girard said the primary issue is the lights stretching over sidewalks, which the city views as a safety and liability risk.
Aikens said Bay City’s mayor and commissioners have voiced support for finding a compromise, though the final decision remains unclear. He believes a complaint from a neighbor triggered the city’s inspection.
Despite the uncertainty, Aikens said the community’s backing has been overwhelming. “This is something positive for kids and families,” he said. “Every year we see new costumes, laughter and sometimes even a few screams. It’s become something people look forward to.”
For now, the lights remain on as organizers await word from the city. Aikens said he hopes officials and neighbors can reach a solution before Halloween.


I have no sympathy for this one. I think Halloween should be banned forever! We tell children not to take candy from strangers, yet one night a year it's okay? I don't think so. Halloween needs to be confined to schools, churches and private parties or banned completely.